Tue, 05 Dec 2023

Rules for transporting pets to the European Union

10 Mar 2023, 13:39 GMT+10

According to EU regulations, taking your dog, cat, or other domesticated animals on a trip to any EU country is simple. And although the process might seem tiring, pet moving can be performed without stress if you follow EU rules on that: https://globalinklogistics.com/services/pet-moving/.

Preparation for taking an animal abroad

With a few exceptions, your pet can travel with you to another EU country or from a non-EU country to an EU country. Some medical preparations have to be made, though:

  • a microchip that has been implanted in compliance with Annex II of the EU Regulation on the transportation of animals;
  • a shot to prevent rabies;
  • a legitimate pet passport for Europe based on information from a state vet.

Also, you will need commodities to transport your pet safely: a carrier bag or container, food, and water supply for the road (if it is a long way) are the bare minimum.

Documents needed for entering the EU with animals

When you are coming from a non-EU state, your animal companion has to obtain a European Union animal health certificate provided by a state veterinarian there no later than 10 days before the pet enters the EU. Following this date, the certificate remains in effect for 4 months or until the anti-rabies vaccine expires, whichever usually happens first.

You must also fill out and provide a written declaration saying that the transfer of your pet is for non-commercial purposes. If the pet is traveling with someone you have given permission to, you must also make this declaration. If this is the case, your animal must be brought back to you within five days of your move.

European Veterinary Passport

A European veterinary passport is a paper that adheres to a model set by the EU and is required for travel throughout the states of the union. It includes a description of your pet, information about him or her, the microchip or tattoo code, proof of rabies immunization, and the contact information for both the pet's owner and the veterinarian who issued the passport.

Any authorized veterinarian can provide you with a European veterinary passport for your animal companion, but the specialist has to be officially permitted by the relevant authorities to issue pet passports. Whenever your pet's rabies vaccine is current, a pet passport is effective for life.

EU countries with special rules for importing animals

Finland, Ireland, and Malta have some additional rules. Since these are "tapeworm-free" countries, you need treatment against the tapeworm within one to five days before the arrival. This applies to dogs only. The therapy must be certified by the veterinarian who is writing it down in the pertinent area of the passport.

Sign up for Atlantic City News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!